Friday, November 27, 2009

As a Toronto Raptors fan, I deserve better

Close your eyes. Flashback to October 27th. The eve of the 2009-2010 Raptors season. So much excitement. The wait was finally over.

Now flash forward to today, one month later. Where's your excitement now?

The Raptors are losers of five straight on the road, and staring down a 7-10 record. Huh?

I knew the Raptors biggest issue would be defense, but I didn't think it'd be this embarrassing. My basketball coach always to say me "Take pride on defense. It all comes from the heart". I wish he could say that same thing to the Toronto Raptors. It's one thing to be a poor defender--but it's another thing to not give a damn. No hustle, no spacing, no energy. Just "o" defense (another term used by my coach). Before tonight's loss to the Celtics (they gave up 116 points tonight), the Raptors were giving up 111 PPG. That's just pathetic.

For as happy I am the Raptors got Hedo Turkoglu, he's not living up to his 5 yr/$53M contract. Not one bit. On Wednesday, he had 5 points, and he's only averaging around 13.5 PPG overall. I rest my case.

I've heard all the excuses: the tough schedule, the team needs to gel, yada, yada, yada. Last I checked Chris Bosh will be a free agent on July 1st. Time isn't on the Raptors side. They need to win. Immediately.

Of the Raptors ten losses, eight have been against teams who made the playoffs last year. What's that mean? It means the Raptors can't beat the better teams in the league.

The past two games (both losses), I've done something I've never done before. I turned the TV off before the final buzzer sounded because I was so frustrated with the poor effort put forth. I'm worried the poor start to the season is the beginning of the end. Are you?

I know it's only November, but I expected more. Prior to the season started, I predicted a 51-31 record. That means the Raptors will have to go 45-20 the rest of the year. Yikes.


As a die hard Raptor fan, I deserve better. We all deserve better.

No comments:

Post a Comment