Saturday, August 22, 2009

Latest on the Banks-Carroll trade

On Wednesday, news broke that the Raptors and Mavericks were setting up a trade that would send Marcus Banks to Dallas, and Matt Carroll to Toronto. While this deal is yet to be finalized, I'm guessing it will eventually go down.

But the more I'm thinking about it, the more I'm actually hating this trade. At first I didn't mind it, but now that I've had time to look into the numbers, it doesn't make a lot of sense.

For one, Matt Carroll is going to see extremely limited minutes. I'm guessing 80% of the time he's going to get DNP-CD. It won't help, in Carroll's case, the Raptors bench is extremely deep and a handful of swingman are more talented than him. Secondly, Carroll still has 4 years left on his deal In the remaining 4 years, he's getting paid roughly $4M per season. Marcus Banks also makes $4M per season, but his contract only has 2 years remaining on it. Yes, getting rid of Banks is a positive. But I'd much retain him, rather than dealing him for someone who isn't a free agent until July 2013, and isn't much better talent wise.

In my opinion, this is the first questionable off-season move by Bryan Colangelo. With this trade, I think it just shows how desperate the team was in moving Marcus Banks. But by any means, I'm not going to hate on Bryan Colangelo--this was a small move, and it doesn't make the Raptors any better or worse. But financially, it doesn't make sense.

When/if this trade goes down, it will probably complete the off-season. The Raptors have 15 players on the roster, regardless if we keep Banks or add Carroll. By the way--I felt dumb after Thursday's blog--I didn't realize the Delfino and Ukic trade was technically a 2 for 1 (because Delfino wasn't a Raptor). So, my bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment